1956 – Jaguar XK140 Cabriolet SE

Lot 2
Go to lot
Estimation :
50000 - 70000 EUR
Result without fees
Result : 46 000EUR
1956 – Jaguar XK140 Cabriolet SE
Monegasque circulation permit Chassis n°S818897BW Engine n°G8516-8S - Probably the best of the XK series and the most comfortable configuration - Rare left-hand drive, automatic gearbox and SE - High-quality restoration to be carried out - Numerous aesthetic and technical improvements Location: Nice region Our Jaguar XK was originally a rare XK140 in convertible body (Drophead Coupe/DHC) with left-hand drive and Borg-Warner automatic transmission in Special Equipment (SE) version with C-type cylinder head, as indicated by the Jaguar Heritage certificate in the car's file. The certificate also tells us that the car left the factory on September 13, 1956, and was shipped to Jaguar Cars' New York distributor on the following October 5. While its subsequent history is unknown, it is known to have been owned between 1994 and 2010 by U.S. Navy veteran, legal scholar and author Albert R. Pincus, and registered in his name in the state of Pennsylvania. It was during the latter's ownership that the car won several awards following its full restoration, in its current configuration, metallic grey with burgundy leather interior, grey soft top and whitewall tires, which differs from the original. It was then imported to France in late 2010 and maintained by Americo Automobile in Argenteuil, before being acquired by its current owner at a Paris auction in 2014. Today, this XK140 DHC is in satisfactory overall condition, both in terms of presentation and operation, although some work is required as the restoration carried out, while of high quality, is now old. The original engine block has been replaced by another (numbered G8515-8S) of the same type as the model, while the cylinder head, which is no longer the original one either, has been replaced by another which is not a C-type, but turns out to be a Jaguar Type S cylinder head (numbered 7B58197-8) of the same displacement (3.4L). On the other hand, the car retains its original gearbox. It has been fitted with an aluminum radiator with additional fan, an aluminum expansion tank, an alternator and power steering (hydraulic), as well as an electric fuel pump, aluminum fuel tank, gas-charged shock absorbers, larger-than-original front brake calipers and rear disc brakes, stainless-steel exhaust.... It also features a water temperature gauge, Moto-Lita steering wheel, Radiomobile radio and chromed spoke wheels. Thus equipped for long-distance travel, its owner enjoyed it on tourist rallies and had it serviced in 2021, but has not used it since. This 921-mile XK140 DHC therefore requires a little attention. Nevertheless, it represents a fantastic opportunity for enthusiasts wishing to indulge themselves and gain access to the XK family on a budget. All the more so as it is one of only 2310 left-hand drive XK140 cabriolet models produced between 1954 and 1957, few of which were ordered with both the automatic and "SE" gearbox options. A detailed appraisal report from 2022 is available on request, and interested parties are advised to consult it. The vehicle is being sold as is, without a technical inspection, and will need a complete overhaul before it can be driven again. The Jaguar XK120 roadster was presented at the London Motor Show in 1948, just two months after the chassis and body had been designed. At the time, there were few sports cars on the market, and most of those that did exist had been designed before the Second World War. So it came as a general surprise when this seemingly wind-blown sports car, powered by a new 160 hp double overhead cam engine capable of reaching 120 miles (hence the name), was unveiled. All the more so as its price is very competitive, even though its instrumentation is very complete and the interior is in Connolly leather. Like its price, its performance is also highly competitive, enabling the XK120 to shine in the most prestigious competitions. Initially available as a roadster, the XK120 came in a Fixed Head Coupe (FHC) in 1951, then a Drophead Coupe (DHC) in 1953, not forgetting the sportier "Special Equipment" version, which could be combined with any of these body styles as early as 1951. This version featured a m
My orders
Sale information
Sales conditions
Return to catalogue